Vice President of Human Resources - 18407
Edmonton, AB T6J 6R7 CA
In addition to strong natural leadership abilities, the VP HR actively demonstrates the ability to work collaboratively and become a trusted advisor with members of AMA’s Senior Leadership.
This is a rare opportunity for an innovative, collaborative and focused HR Leader to assume a key Executive role where you will have a very real opportunity to make a significant contribution to the evolution and modernization of a highly respected and recognized organization.
People are the backbone of AMA’s strategy. Their people are the means through which they deliver products, services, and experiences: essentially everything they do that serves to protect what matters most. To attract, retain and grow the talent they need to deliver on strategic plans, they are modernizing their employment practices while leveraging the strength of their culture.
The impact of the pandemic on the labour force, coupled with several emerging industries driving diversification in the Alberta economy, has made the competition for talent stiff. As one of the most trusted brands in the province, they need to position ourselves more clearly as an employer of choice and articulate a differentiated and meaningful employee experience.
The Vice President, Human Resources is accountable directly to the President & CEO and is responsible for embracing AMA’s culture and providing strategic leadership in planning, evaluating, implementing and executing AMA’s People strategies, initiatives, policies and programs.
As a trusted member of our executive team, the VP, Human Resources is the architect of our people strategies – ensuring they that align and enable achievement of AMA’s strategic goals. The VP, Human Resources has overall responsibility for all aspects of AMA’s Human Resources function including employee experience and development, talent acquisition, employee relations, total rewards, legislative compliance, enterprise risk, diversity and inclusion, workforce and succession planning, health & safety, HR technology and reporting, and payroll. The VP Human Resources partners with our VP Corporate Purpose on strategy and initiatives to foster AMA’s culture and employee learning & development.
Vice President Human Resources responsibilities:
- Build strong relationships with the senior leadership team, along with internal and external stakeholders and AMA’s board
- Responsible for all aspects of AMA’s Human Resources function including employee experience and development, talent acquisition, employee relations, total rewards, legislative compliance, enterprise risk, diversity and inclusion, workforce and succession planning, health & safety, HR technology and reporting, and payroll.
- Overseeing a large HR team, including direct and indirect reports
- Advise the organization on HR priorities and related policies in the context of AMA strategies and emerging business trends, develop or revise policies, programs and/or procedures and ensure effective organizational communications.
- Provide counsel and guidance on organizational change initiatives, restructuring and complex employee relations matters.
- Partner with AMA’s General Counsel and Legal team to develop recommendations and approaches to sensitive employee matters.
- Design and implement compensation and benefits structures and programs including salary, variable pay, progression models, modernization of benefits and policies, savings programs that support attraction and our goal to help our employees live their best lives.
- Develop and ensure governance, policy, and effective controls for payroll and regulatory requirements for occupational health & safety and federal employment reporting.
- Lead the implementation, development and adoption of HR Technology, metrics and reporting
- Strong general business acumen to provide meaningful impact within the executive team.
- Exceptional communication skills and natural coaching and mentorship abilities.
- The ability to develop and maintain a culture of learning, performance and innovation
- A proven track record in planning, leading, implementing and measuring the impact of HR strategies and initiatives.
- Proven success in developing and maintaining effective relationships with all leaders at all levels of an organization
- Demonstrated negotiation and conflict management skills.
- Ability to lead change and manage multiple and competing priorities in a dynamic environment.
- Experience composing a broad range of employee policies
- Knowledge of both Alberta and Federal employee and occupational health and safety legislation
- Experience in building and supporting a strong corporate HR team
- Proven experience developing and implementing meaningful HR programs.
- Demonstrated progressive career growth and a pattern of exceptional performance
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant human resources leadership experience
- A degree or diploma in Human Resources, Business or the equivalent in other education and experience. A CPHR designation or equivalent is an asset.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate including a competitive base salary, comprehensive and flexible benefits, a company car and related business expenses.
Only candidates already eligible to work in Canada will be reviewed. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Meet Your Recruiter
Managing Director & Co-Founder
Recruiting Specialty: Executive Search
Cam is passionate about developing world-class teams. That is what he has done as Managing Director and Co-Founder at The Headhunters, and that is what he helps others to do. Cam's clients—a range of Fortune 500 through to owner-managed companies—know him as a strong leader, someone with an extensive network of top talent who delivers on his promises.
Throughout his far-reaching career, Cam has managed manufacturing teams in North America, retail crews, government teams with an international scope, and professional services organizations in Western Canada. Because he understands that great enterprises are made up of people who strive to reach their own full potential every day, his mission is to inspire people to achieve excellence. As an expression of that commitment, Cam sits on the board for the ThresholdImpact Venture Mentoring Service at the University of Alberta and actively mentors entrepreneurs inspired by those who came before him.
Cam is active in the entrepreneurial community throughout Western Canada and has been a member of the Entrepreneurs’ Organization in Vancouver. He is passionate about giving back, and in-line with this value he co-founded ClubNeed, an organization focused on creating unique adventure travel experiences while giving back to communities in Central America. He also volunteers with the Northern Alberta YMCA. Cam is the proud father of three, and is an active cyclist, runner and skier. He has completed a number of marathons, Gran Fondos and triathlons, including Ironman Florida.