Development Engineer - Creative Energy - 18322
Vancouver, BC V6B 2M1 CA
Creative Energy (http://creative.energy/) owns and operates one of the largest district energy systems in North America. Since 1968, they’ve been delivering outstanding customer service with a 99.99% reliability record; today, their original plant in downtown Vancouver now serves over 215 customers across more than 45 million square feet of connected real estate. Aiming to bring low-carbon energy to cities across North America, Creative Energy is currently developing 12 new district energy projects with a range of innovative technologies including ocean-exchange, geo-exchange, biomass, cogeneration/CHP, solar PV, and microgrids.
Through collaboration and partnerships, Creative Energy designs, builds, owns, operates, finances, and maintains sustainable neighborhood scale energy systems. Serving Canadian energy needs for over 50 years, Creative Energy’ s value proposition is based on a foundation of service reliability, exceptional customer service, and continued growth. They know what it takes to build and operate the next generation of infrastructure that will help our cities meet their energy, climate, and resiliency objectives.
As Development Engineer, you will report to the Director of Development, and be a key member of the Development team in Vancouver. You will handle multiple responsibilities centered around advancing low-carbon district energy systems in new and existing buildings. You will work closely with stakeholders, developers, and world-class consultants, bringing to life a unique energy infrastructure that will provide low-carbon heating and cooling to buildings for decades to come.
The projects and opportunities will require you, as Development Engineer, to balance technical design, financial modeling, and business development, often developing projects from the ground up. You will be exposed to the engineering, commercial, financial, operational, and regulatory considerations of projects. You will be required to communicate and collaborate with sophisticated project stakeholders.
The ideal candidate for this position will be technically minded, with an entrepreneurial spirit with commercial interest, who is ready to roll up their sleeves in a fast-paced environment and appreciate the opportunity to make a difference in the world. This candidate will ideally be an engineer with a background in thermal energy and/or building design, with an affinity for energy/financial modeling, as well as experience or desire to participate in business development.
Duties include but not limited to:
- Providing technical design input and review throughout the design process as the owner’s representative
- Assisting in evaluating the technical and financial feasibility of potential opportunities
- Working closely with the Projects and Finance teams
- Liaising with clients to identify and define requirements, scope, and objectives
- Assisting in marketing, and business development, and contributing positively to the overall brand of Creative Energy by maintaining a strong presence within the local AEC community
- Providing project input for regulatory processes
- Coordinating with external resources and key stakeholders
What the company will expect from you:
- Degree or Diploma in an appropriate Engineering discipline
- Professional Engineer or Engineer in Training designation. AScT may be considered.
- 4+ years’ experience in the technical design of hydronic heating and cooling HVAC systems, projects in excess of $1MM
- Desire to participate in business development, including but not limited to the preparation of pitch decks, presentations, and relationship development
- Experience in stakeholder engagement and management
- Familiarity with private development, institutional, and/or healthcare sector projects is an asset
- Exceptional collaborative and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Solid time management, organizational, and planning skills
What you can expect in return:
- Competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package
- Opportunity to work on high profile, large scale development projects within an entrepreneurial organization using cutting-edge technology
Meet Your Recruiter
Recruiting Specialty: Engineering & Operations
As Principal, Dave builds and maintains relationships with our partners. Drawing on over a decade of global recruitment and business development experience, his market knowledge is an invaluable resource to organizations of all sizes. Dave has ambitious goals to work collaboratively with current and new clients to develop cutting-edge, proactive workforce solutions. He has a proven record of exceeding clients’ expectations and cultivating sustainable and mutually-beneficial partnerships.
Dave is also a specialized and consultative recruiter with a focus in Engineering, Manufacturing, Construction and Operations positions. He has a reputation among his clients for implementing unique search strategies to attract top talent and build cohesive teams. Dave has a realistic understanding of how his clients’ businesses function in today’s world and what they will need to thrive in the future. Moreover, he has a deep network, refined ability to spot technical talent and match it with the most suitable company culture.
A former teacher, Dave knows how best to coach and guide individuals he works with. He takes the time to fully understand their goals, encouraging them to develop and follow a career path that is unique to their skills, talents and aspirations. Working with them as their consultant, he opens doors, acting as a conduit between great candidates and high-calibre career opportunities.
Dave holds an MBA in Global Management and a BBA in Marketing. He is an enthusiastic supporter of Big Brothers of Canada and the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and is a Board member for The Vancouver Society of Children’s Centres, where he sits on the HR & Governance, Finance and Nominations Committees. He is an avid traveler and sports enthusiast, coaches his son’s tee-ball and soccer teams, and enjoys hockey, golf, cycling, baseball, basketball, tennis and skiing.