Construction Project Manager - Creative Energy - 18309
Vancouver, BC V6B 2M1 CA
Creative Energy (http://creative.energy/) owns and operates one of the largest district energy systems in North America. Since 1968, they’ve been delivering outstanding customer service with a 99.99% reliability record; today, their original plant in downtown Vancouver now serves over 215 customers across more than 45 million square feet of connected real estate. Aiming to bring low-carbon energy to cities across North America, Creative Energy is currently developing 12 new district energy projects with a range of innovative technologies including ocean-exchange, geo-exchange, biomass, cogeneration/CHP, solar PV, and microgrids.
Through collaboration and partnerships, Creative Energy designs, builds, owns, operates, finances and maintains sustainable neighborhood scale energy systems. Serving Canadian energy needs for over 50 years, Creative Energy’ s value proposition is based on a foundation of service reliability, exceptional customer service and continued growth. They know what it takes to build and operate the next generation of infrastructure that will help our cities meet their energy, climate and resiliency objectives.
As part of the growing Creative Energy family and reporting to the Director, Construction you will drive long-term value in the design and construction of low-carbon thermal energy systems. You will employ project management principles to lead the design, construction, commissioning, and closeout of several concurrent district energy projects. You will work closely with stakeholders, developers, world-class consultants, and contractors to deliver unique infrastructure, providing low-carbon heating and cooling to buildings for decades to come.
The projects present a variety of challenges and require a Project Manager who can successfully incorporate commercial, financial, operational and regulatory considerations into their projects and be able to communicate and collaborate with sophisticated project stakeholders.
The ideal candidate for this position will be someone with an entrepreneurial spirit, who is ready to roll up their sleeves in a fast-paced environment. The ideal individual will appreciate the opportunity to have ownership of the delivery of low-carbon infrastructure.
- Responsible for project related risk management duties
- Oversees the engineering, procurement and construction contracts
- Coordinates with design teams and internal staff
- Oversees construction and commissioning activities
- Provides project input for regulatory processes
- Coordinates with external resources and key stakeholders
- Lead the detailed design phase of projects with the design team
- Review engineering drawings and specification for mechanical, plumbing, electrical, civil, structural, and architectural
- Prepare construction project scopes and budget estimates
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate construction projects according to schedule, design drawings, specifications, and budget
- Plan and prepare construction schedules and milestones and monitor progress against established schedules
- Prepare tender packages and lead the tendering process
- Prepare contracts and negotiate revisions, changes and additions to contractual agreements with architects, consultants, clients, suppliers and contractors
- Develop and implement quality control programs
- Supervise the activities of contractors and subcontractors
- Visit sites regularly during construction including preconstruction walks, in-progress visits, and closeouts.
- Document site/field reports and photos
- Manage worksites for coordinating activities and ensuring that all work is in sync with project goals and objectives
- Provide direction to general contractors, subcontractors, and vendors when doing groundwork to ensure that quality standards are being met
- Identify, mitigate, and track recurring construction issues
- Adhere to legal regulations, building and safety codes, and other requirements
- Respond efficiently and effectively to work delays, emergencies, and other project disruptions
- Prepare and submit progress reports
- Act as the main point of contact for clients, consultants, and stakeholders
- Ensure seamless commissioning of new systems
- Complete project closeout process post commissioning and seamless handover to operations team
What the company will expect from you:
- Degree in an appropriate Engineering discipline
- Professional Engineer Designation (P.Eng)
- 8+ years’ experience delivering infrastructure projects in excess of $20MM
- Expertise with project stakeholders to ensure seamless delivery of critical objectives
- Certification in project management methodologies such as PMP an asset
- Experience with public sector projects and utility experience an asset
- Exceptional collaborative and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Solid time management, organizational and planning skills
What you can expect in return:
- Competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package
- Opportunity to work on high profile, large scale development projects within an entrepreneurial organization using cutting-edge technology
Meet Your Recruiter
Recruiting Specialty: Engineering & Operations
As Principal, Dave builds and maintains relationships with our partners. Drawing on over a decade of global recruitment and business development experience, his market knowledge is an invaluable resource to organizations of all sizes. Dave has ambitious goals to work collaboratively with current and new clients to develop cutting-edge, proactive workforce solutions. He has a proven record of exceeding clients’ expectations and cultivating sustainable and mutually-beneficial partnerships.
Dave is also a specialized and consultative recruiter with a focus in Engineering, Manufacturing, Construction and Operations positions. He has a reputation among his clients for implementing unique search strategies to attract top talent and build cohesive teams. Dave has a realistic understanding of how his clients’ businesses function in today’s world and what they will need to thrive in the future. Moreover, he has a deep network, refined ability to spot technical talent and match it with the most suitable company culture.
A former teacher, Dave knows how best to coach and guide individuals he works with. He takes the time to fully understand their goals, encouraging them to develop and follow a career path that is unique to their skills, talents and aspirations. Working with them as their consultant, he opens doors, acting as a conduit between great candidates and high-calibre career opportunities.
Dave holds an MBA in Global Management and a BBA in Marketing. He is an enthusiastic supporter of Big Brothers of Canada and the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and is a Board member for The Vancouver Society of Children’s Centres, where he sits on the HR & Governance, Finance and Nominations Committees. He is an avid traveler and sports enthusiast, coaches his son’s tee-ball and soccer teams, and enjoys hockey, golf, cycling, baseball, basketball, tennis and skiing.